Every 1 Reads
Advancing Universal Student Literacy
Champion Institutions: Greater Louisville, Inc., Jefferson County Public Schools, Metro Louisville United Way, and Louisville Metro Government
Every 1 Reads is a campaign launched by Greater Louisville, Inc., the area’s Chamber of Commerce, and the Jefferson County Public Schools to ensure that all of its 90,000 students achieve literacy proficiency – a goal viewed as essential to the City’s future economic progress.
The leaders of Every 1 Reads called on DCA to develop a network of Every 1 Reads Community Partners to surround struggling students with the high-quality mentoring, tutoring and enrichment they need to succeed. DCA helped enlist family and youth service organizations throughout Louisville and created a plan to train them, direct parents and children to them, keep them focused on results, and reward their success in raising student performance.
At the five-year milestone, hundreds of community leaders and residents met to celebrate the success of this effort. Together, they had:
- enlisted 53 Every 1 Reads Community Partner organizations (serving 11,500 students annually);
- exceeded their goal of mobilizing 10,000 literacy volunteers;
- met their goal of raising $8 million from local businesses to support literacy programming and instruction;
- reduced the number of struggling readers from 18 percent of all students to 9.4 percent;
- achieved an almost 20 percent increase in the number of high-performing readers;
- reduced the number of struggling writers from 25 percent to nine percent.
The community committed to sustain and build upon this progress.